About Me

My photo
Yilan, Taiwan
I just returned back to the States after 11 years in Taiwan with my daughter. Taiwan is an excellent base for us explore Asia, while living in relative (gun free) safety, while benefiting from a cheap and efficient national health care system. The people are amazing too. I have Taiwanese friendships that are 20 years old and I'm always making new ones! My coworker here in CO is from Taiwan.

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Spring in Yilan: New Developments and Hair Experiments Gone Wrong

It's funny, every Spring like clockwork, like a migratory water fowl I get this itch, inner antsiness where I want to move or change jobs. I often would scan job ads or flight deals for pleasure. This Spring I was utterly void of unsettledness. The out of the blue job invitation from Taitung sort of provided a short spat of turbulence, but in the end I settled for remaining contented in Yilan.


However, my Spring wasn't all inner collectiveness and tranquility. Its starting to get really warm and I've been meaning to get a hair cut for the upcoming summer. This has building up and then my Trickster manifested last Saturday morning. I thought to myself, "How hard could it be to give myself bangs?" Its friggin' harder than it looks- well looks like I indeed gave myself bangs. Then my neighbor came over and decided to help, I handed over the scissors as she cut away more. Needs to grow in a few weeks before it looks um, normal. It looked like a Cleopatra wig.

Bad Cleopatra wig
I should of stopped when I had the chance. But feeling like it couldn't get much worse, what the hell, I decided to cut it shorter. This time I actually went to a professional. I think it was the same man who trimmed it before and did a decent job. However this time he literally chopped it in 5 minutes, it was uneven, I had long bits still. I got what I paid for, a 100 NT (3 bucks USD) cut outside Carrefore! 

After the chop, Z is trained to open up my bottle and pour me my ale

The damage is done. It will grow. Until then I drowned my sorrows in (a single) Canadian beer and copious amounts of onion rings at Piggies Bar. Z says I look like the KGB agent in Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull, she had me repeat ,"Hello Dr Jones" with a terrible Russian accent until I had to put my foot down. Its ok, I had the first laugh. Everything is temporary, right? 

Beyond the mane, just smile anyways
Besides the state of my hair, life is good! At least that's what I thought Tuesday afternoon, laying in my hammock, relaxing until it was time to teach a yoga class, then tutor a junior high girl in my home. Later that night I and took my twice a week TRX class with my hottie trainer. Today I started teaching my now Wed and Fri afternoons of just Art and PE to kindy kids with great English. Easy money, super fun, at a superb school for a fantastic boss! I feel so blessed. I have a fitness community, I enjoy my work, I started juicing consistently every morning the past 2 weeks. It's all rainbows and unicorns at the moment.

Lazy lady hair
Another reason to gloat is this weather. For the past month or two, its sunny mornings, even sweaty hot 90F around 11, then something about lunchtime, like a switch, it cools down. Clouds roll in from the mountains and soften the sun, there's a breeze from the ocean, sometimes a shower cools it off. Everyday I feel lucky to be here. I was forewarned how rainy and bleak Yilan weather is, but its just my style! Fresh and smelling sweet. It will be miserably hot soon enough, until then, enjoying perfection, which is a long, luxurious Spring.

No comments: