About Me

My photo
Yilan, Taiwan
I just returned back to the States after 11 years in Taiwan with my daughter. Taiwan is an excellent base for us explore Asia, while living in relative (gun free) safety, while benefiting from a cheap and efficient national health care system. The people are amazing too. I have Taiwanese friendships that are 20 years old and I'm always making new ones! My coworker here in CO is from Taiwan.

Saturday, August 8, 2015

Stay Safe Taiwan: The Wrath of Soudelor


Luckily I'm missing the Pacific storm of  the season, "Soudelor" which just sounds demonic. My heart goes out to the family who already lost a mom and 2 twin 8 year old daughters. Read, "Taiwan Braces.."

I just hope it isn't as bad at Morakot, which I experienced in Tainan 2011, that killed 500 people. My 5th floor apartment was flooded, Z and I were huddled on our sofa, the winds were coming from the south and just perfectly angled to penetrate the cracks on my windows. We had no running water for a week. Yet we were comparatively lucky. There were aboriginal villages in the countryside of Kaohsiung that were buried alive under massive mud slides.

Sending prayers from Colorado. The weather here is perfectly pleasant, dry, not hot or cold 86 F/30C partly cloudy. We were playing in the yard all morning. But in the back of my mind I hope Taiwan stays safe, that my cat won't be terrified all alone and the 6th grader watching her, remembers to batten down my hatches while we are away.

8 hours ago

No comments: