About Me

My photo
Yilan, Taiwan
I just returned back to the States after 11 years in Taiwan with my daughter. Taiwan is an excellent base for us explore Asia, while living in relative (gun free) safety, while benefiting from a cheap and efficient national health care system. The people are amazing too. I have Taiwanese friendships that are 20 years old and I'm always making new ones! My coworker here in CO is from Taiwan.

Wednesday, September 23, 2015

A Buzzin' Consumerist

Its been 4 weeks since we returned from our trip home and I am still buzzing. My fantastic job certainly helps maintain the positive vibes (worthy of its own post). There isn't a day that goes by when I don't think fondly about Colorado, conversations with friends, my family. It was all like a dream.

I had to face the reality that I am a consumerist. Stocking up on goodies was in order, literally. I had so much joy buying products through Amazon and iHerb that I could not get in Taiwan- ok iHerb does ship here but if I could stuff it in my carry on, why not?

I still benefit daily from the cruelty free products I bought. Here are my top 5 of many.

1. Vega Protein shake.  Recommended from my Canadian friend who is a kindred spirit in all things healthy. The whey based junk at Costco and the gyms are filled with sugar and all kind of weird chemicals, and all Herbalife protein products in Taiwan are soy based, I have an allergy to soy. Why is it so difficult to find a vegetable based protein shake on the island?



2.  Nature's Way Hemp Protein powder. Used every other day alternatively with Vega. Each serving has 11 gm of protein and 13 gm of fiber.

3. Organic Tulsi tea- Boulder based Organic India company. I mix tulsi loose leaf  with the loose leaf yerba mate which is bitter. Tulsi is the queen of Indian ayruvedic herbs and has dozens of health benefits like being top in antioxidants, boosts metabolism, anti-aging, combats cancer and are full of minerals (here are 33 more). I also got some tea bags of tulsi and lemongrass. I'd like to grow it actually.

benefits of Tulsi tea


4.  Now Stevia in packets. I got 2 boxes, one has chromium which helps regulate blood sugar. I've seen only flavored stevia from a yoga studio in Loudong.

5. Minerals Fusion  SPF 40 Moisturizer, another local brand from Littleton, Colorado. No junk, easily absorbed and lasts a while.

Honorable mentions: Now almond oil, Dr Bonner's Mint and Hemp pure castille soap, Giovanni dry shampoo, the crystal deodorant, bosu ball, Dabur clove toothpaste, neem oil, Bragg Liquid Aminos soy sauce alternative, a psychedelic new yoga mat,  and much needed workout shoes.




What I wish I would of brought back: spelt tortillas, sourdough bread, books, my violin, special gel inserts for my left heel.

But back to reality. There's more to life than things. Also there's been little consumption this month, not having worked last month, my car needed some repairs, and also I am still catching up on bills.

Might come in handy if in a hurry post workout or traveling through Java.


I am counting down the days to my first full time paycheck since December and making plane for CNY in February (everything books out fast). Life is good!


No comments: