About Me

My photo
Yilan, Taiwan
I just returned back to the States after 11 years in Taiwan with my daughter. Taiwan is an excellent base for us explore Asia, while living in relative (gun free) safety, while benefiting from a cheap and efficient national health care system. The people are amazing too. I have Taiwanese friendships that are 20 years old and I'm always making new ones! My coworker here in CO is from Taiwan.

Friday, April 14, 2017

There is a Remedy for Everything Except

My Grandma and my daughter
A month ago, I woke up on a mid March morning with yet again another solemn message from my Dad.

 My grandma passed. 

It was so soon after the tragedy of niece and ex sister in law (previous post). My father was exhausted emotionally, and physically from driving to New Mexico every other weekend. I saw all the photos of my brothers and cousins, aunts and uncles at her memorial and funeral. It was rotten being here alone. I couldn't afford a ticket or missing more classes when I'd only just return from Emma's memorial. 








We were closer to my paternal grandparents. She suffered her last years with undeserved pain, so in many ways, her death was also a blessing. My aunt and uncle were there with her at her last moments which is a beautiful solace for all of us.

I definitely got my love of travel from my grandma. She and my grandpa went to Europe and N. Africa more than once when I was a kid. She often told me she wished she was in the service so she could see the world. She was a wonderful independent woman, and a working single mom most of the time because my grandpa was often deployed abroad. She spoke her mind and was tolerant and kind. 





My grandma was hard working and observant of human behavior. She worked the night shift as a nurse at a mental hospital and then took care of 4 kids at home during the day. She hardly slept. I loved the stories of her childhood, the severity of being the eldest daughter of 11 kids on a ranch, of the abundance of nature during the Great Depression, how she met my grandpa (funny story). Her handmade tortillas and chocolate cake are legend. Her children loved her fiercely. 

Now Emma can delight in being with both her great-grandmas.


Z, Grandma, Grandpa and Emma

No comments: