About Me

My photo
Yilan, Taiwan
I just returned back to the States after 11 years in Taiwan with my daughter. Taiwan is an excellent base for us explore Asia, while living in relative (gun free) safety, while benefiting from a cheap and efficient national health care system. The people are amazing too. I have Taiwanese friendships that are 20 years old and I'm always making new ones! My coworker here in CO is from Taiwan.

Friday, December 18, 2015

Mini Me and Mom Marathon

Two weeks ago my daughter and I woke up at the crack of dawn to partake in our first marathon. It was small only 10 km. My friend, an avid runner invited my daugther and I and another friend from our TRX class to tag along. We started at the Evergreen Hotel in Jiaoxi and did a loop, up the road to where the buses/taxis drop off people at the base of the stairs to the waterfalls. Thankfully it was just lightly drizzling, no downpour.

With our Bronco jerseys, have to represent!

My kid was in no mood. I don't think she is quite the early bird by nature and kept saying, "I'm not feeling this."   I hope she was surprised that it wasn't as long as she thought it would be. Fingers crossed we can actually run it next time, she refused so we had to walk it.

Her mood improved as we had some lady spa time at the Japanese style spa. My friend suggested it and because she was officially entered in the marathon we got free entry. It happened to be the same hot springs I took my mom two summers before and one of two we occasionally go to ourselves.

We followed our soak with a brunch/lunch at a very nice, busy restaurant (喜拉朵) my friend highly recommended located on the road to the waterfalls. We will definitely return here next time we are in Jiaoxi, possibly next weekend. The salads were the freshest I've had in Taiwan. Its not really a salad eating culture and they all tend to taste the same, so the salads here were a nice respite after an early morning walk and hot springs.

No comments: