About Me

My photo
Yilan, Taiwan
I just returned back to the States after 11 years in Taiwan with my daughter. Taiwan is an excellent base for us explore Asia, while living in relative (gun free) safety, while benefiting from a cheap and efficient national health care system. The people are amazing too. I have Taiwanese friendships that are 20 years old and I'm always making new ones! My coworker here in CO is from Taiwan.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

A place to lay my head (or hang my art)

This past month my paintings have been taking themselves off my walls.  Ive had them up for three years and now the hooks (sticky tape ones) just aren't cutting it. I have been going through boxes of that sticky tape and they just wont stay. I don't think the canvases have been gaining weight. So Ive come to the conclusion that maybe its time to move.
Ive been at this apartment for 2 years, maybe more. I first came to Tainan and shared an apartment with Vicky and Megan, which was ok for a while (who wants a roommate with a 2 1/2 year old tantrum queen?).

The place I'm in now has its benefits, its close to work, (I literally get dressed at 820 and am out the door at 830 although I wake at 6), there is an awesome community garden across the street and I am often the recipient to friends' and neighbors all around year harvests, and its not congested around here. Id hate to live where all these 18 story giants are towering, rubbing shoulders with each other. I like space, I like having an open field overgrown with weeds and packs of stray dogs out my window. I like the old man who thinks he's a security guard; he watches my back, like when I didn't pay a bill sometime when I was out of the country, he hopped on his scooter and got me covered. I like living 2 minutes by bike from the beach or Anping. I have parks within walking distance.


 Now our apartment ain't paradise for sure. Its old, there are roaches, we sleep under mozzy nets, I doubt if its earthquake safe, and all our crap is starting to get crowded. Last Typhoon it flooded and I am on the 5th floor. Mostly its lack of storage space, winter clothes and blankets take up a lot of space and even though winter isn't so long here, one definitely needs coats, scarves, layers and layers of blankets and thick comforters. (Ok 60 F may seem comfortable to you, but after a while your sense of what is hot or cold definitely alters at the Tropic of Capricorn.)

Also my kitchen sucks, its small, cramped and I may be 5"2 but even I find the stove top fan too low. I hardly have room to cook, my sink is small and I get the feeling that living here is akin to camping (which I don't mind at all, but sometimes Id like the feeling that I wasn't camping). I am at the point where I don't mind cleaning the lizard crap I'm just so happy I have allies in my war against the roaches.

I need a space that is a large enough (but not too big), a sunny house or apartment with a view, and large closets. A view is very important. From my kitchen I have this little table and high stools and I can see over my high window to the port where the big ships dock on their way from or to Kaohsiung and the seas behind, but its such a sliver of sea. Id like a full on sunset view, like the apartment I covet on my bike ride along the river that flows out to the sea, you know the summer homes for the rich that have these incredible windows facing west. Anyway, one takes it for granted living in Colorado and being so close to sky (my cloud brethren) always being in some auspicious position to be apart of the day's passing. If I want to see the sunset here in Tainan I have to consciously make a plan, go to the beach, the old Anping port or a friend's house.
Could I muster the energy to move? I would have to ask friends and bribe them with beer and  pizza and I hate doing that. Having to box up alot of crap and move it and unpack and cleaning all the while, I wonder what will happen when October comes around and my lease is up.

No comments: