About Me

My photo
Yilan, Taiwan
I just returned back to the States after 11 years in Taiwan with my daughter. Taiwan is an excellent base for us explore Asia, while living in relative (gun free) safety, while benefiting from a cheap and efficient national health care system. The people are amazing too. I have Taiwanese friendships that are 20 years old and I'm always making new ones! My coworker here in CO is from Taiwan.

Friday, December 9, 2011

A Mellow Weekend in Tainan

I had a nice weekend. Sat morning met some old friends at the Mr Potato breakfast shop by my house and met a businessman about a potential investment (no decisions or money exchanged, will explain in another blog.) Morning market shopping w/ Z, my language exchange canceled, skyped home-- a typical Saturday. That evening an acquaintance, my friend's friend and also the parent of one of my former students was having the grand opening of her high end furniture store.  She and her husband are this designer duo and quite successful.

Elven, fairy-like dinnerware.




Saturday night was so cultured, everyone was so sophisticated, well dressed high earners. Grace introduced me to the two Italian gentlemen who were promoting their furniture, leather sofas, filled with down feathers, comfortable and classy.  They were of course impeccably dressed with well tailored suits, tall, very tall, my age, maybe a couple years older The taller and slighter older one was from Pisa, the other and closest to me was from Florence. We talked travel, Berlusconi,  global economics, Taiwan, the food in Korea (they just came from Seoul). I enjoyed their conversation, all that was missing was some Chianti and candle light.







The entertainment was also classy, artsy. Jennifer Johan Wang and her husband Li Zhengfan 李正帆  with their band Indylegonza. He is a very successful, popular sing writer and obviously very in love with his wife, as he played keyboards (among many other instruments some of which I have never seen before) he only had eyes for her. She mostly grow up in SanFran and was very friendly and down to earth, very beautiful face that no mohawk could hide with an exquisite voice. She kindly invited me to her mountain home in Taipei.







Sunday by contrast was lackadaisical. Church in the morning, lunch at a favorite place, a bodyrock workout (Bust it Out), a nap and then headed to the beach around 4. Arrived two minutes later. I brought marshmallows and some wine. The other expat dudes were there with their dogs. A fire was made for the kids to roast marshmallows and for a BBQ. Z was getting grouchy/testy around 7 or so and I had to diplomatically use my wiles to get her to come back home with me. It was mild, no wind, no cold, the fire was perfect. I was in leggings and a sweatshirt/vest, about as beachy unkempt as could be and the polar opposite of last night's high end bash. I appreciate both worlds, 'tho I could easily be a beach bum the rest of my days.

All in all a thoroughly enjoyable, mellow weekend in Tainan.

No comments: